< iStitch
Sunday 7 September 2014
Randjes per week SAL




I am trying to keep up with the Randjes per week SAL and although I forgot to check the new bands late on Friday evening I did download and print them on Saturday afternoon and was then able to get them stitched up. For those of you who have expressed interest in this year long SAL go *here* where you can find all the charts. Another name makes an appearance on my sidebar, my darling grand-daughter Kirby Harris. 




A few days back I read in the local newspaper that part of the school I attended way back when (Folkestone Technical High School for Girls) is being renovated in 23 luxury apartments and that they were holding an open day yesterday. So off we went to check it out. It was rather surreal to go through the main doors after all these years and wander through the building. The dining room, which had the most wonderful galleried landing, is no longer there but the original staircases have been retained as has the Chapel. The show apartment to the bottom left of the picture was where Mademoiselle Fenn tried in vain to teach me French and the apartment next to it was my old form room. The house was then called 'Eversley' and has been renamed 'Eversley Park'. This was my favourite building of the three that comprised my school. 

This next picture shows how the school used to look. I think I prefer the old version!




And these are pictures of me (and my best friend Steph) taken outside of the building. These were our Summer uniforms which were green and white gingham dresses with brown cardigans. Our blazers were also green with a brown trim and we had straw boaters. Some of the girls in the background are wearing the Winter uniforms - brown skirts, cream shirts, brown and green striped tie, a brown mackintosh and brown felt hats. How old fashioned they look today! 




I hope you have enjoyed a trip back into my past!

Thanks for visiting
Take care



Labels: ,

 
|


9 Comments:


  • On 7 September 2014 at 21:16, Blogger LindataxPA

    Carol, your SAal looks wonderful! And your personalization on the edge is such a great addition. Congrats on keeping up. Such great pictures of your former school and you and your friend. So much fun to revisit those places. Next time I go to Cleveland, I should drive by my old school to see what changes have been made...there most certainly should be after 55 years!!

    Linda

     
  • On 8 September 2014 at 12:21, Blogger Vickie

    Oh how neat! Loved the pictures you shared today. :) I can imagine you were flooded with memories there.

     
  • On 8 September 2014 at 18:20, Blogger Vera

    Hi Carol, beautiful progress on your SAL. Wow, a year long?!?! Love the pictures of your school and the one of you and your friend. I've seen a number of schools converted into apartment buildings here in the States.

     
  • On 8 September 2014 at 20:59, Blogger Michelle

    What a lovely post Carol - really enjoyed reading it x

     
  • On 11 September 2014 at 00:14, Blogger Gillie

    I went to school in Norfolk but we almost had the same uniforms! Sadly closed now.

     
  • On 14 September 2014 at 19:22, Blogger Sheryl

    Lovely interesting post. My old school in Sevenoaks, Kent looked very much the same as your school did years ago and our uniforms were green gingham too. Happy times.

     
  • On 15 September 2014 at 13:23, Blogger angelasweby

    What an interesting post Carol. Such a shame these beautiful old buildings are being lost to new flats conversions but it's better than being knocked down I suppose. What great memories you must have they are great old photos. Our summer uniform was green gingham too with bottle green cardies.
    Do you still keep in touch with your friend Steph?

    Stunning work on your SAL.
    Xx

     
  • On 3 October 2014 at 22:17, Blogger Meari

    The same thing happened to my elementary school. My sister actually rented an apartment for a short while.

    I think the new version of your old school is very striking.

    Nice progress on your SAL.

     
  • On 12 October 2018 at 11:42, Blogger Unknown

    If you are on Facebook, please join the Folkestone Tech group (if you haven’t already,)