< iStitch
Monday 31 March 2008
Old English trifle



When Rowyn wrote about her mum's trifle on her blog and posted a wonderful picture, I left a comment saying that I had another recipe for trifle which she might like to try. I was about to email it to her when I thought that maybe others would also like to try this delicious recipe, so here it is.  Please read through to the bottom before making it as I have made a couple of amendments of my own to it. It's a microwave recipe so doesn't take too long to make. 

Ingredients:

1 pint warmed milk
2-3 drops vanilla essence
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1oz cornflour
8 trifle sponges
1 (225g) can of apricots, drained and pureed 
4oz macaroons, lightly crushed
6 tablespoons medium sherry
1/2 pint whipping cream
2oz flaked almonds

Method:

Beat the egg yolks, eggs, sugar, cornflour and milk together, then heat on high for 2 1/2 minutes, stirring twice. Spread trifle sponges with apricot puree, cut into suitable sized pieces and place in a 3 1/2 pint serving dish. Add the remaining puree. Cover the sponges with the crushed macaroons and then pour the sherry over them. Add custard and spread evenly. Place the flaked almonds on a plate and toast on high for 6 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool then sprinkle them over the cream.

Serves 8

Note : If you like, use extra whipped cream to decorate the trifle, piping it as shown in the picture.

My Note: Do not puree all the apricots but keep back 2 or 3 and cut them into small slices and add them when you add the remaining puree. I use chocolate macaroons instead of the plain ones. I don't toast the almonds as the only time I did they burned! Oh yes, nearly forgot, I am a bit heavy handed with the sherry too :-)

Enjoy!

Thanks for visiting
Take care


Labels:

 
|


5 Comments:


  • On 31 March 2008 at 11:55, Blogger Vonna Pfeiffer

    Sounds delicious! Thank you for the recipe :)

     
  • On 31 March 2008 at 13:40, Blogger Wendy

    That looks too yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

     
  • On 31 March 2008 at 15:45, Blogger Edgar

    What a great rec. I think I will try and make one. Your exchanges are really nice. The pynkeep you made fort eh HOE is just beautiful!!!! what a great finish and striking finish!

     
  • On 31 March 2008 at 22:30, Blogger valerie

    Oh my, the trifle looks scrumptious! Can you please send me over a serving?! Dessert is my biggest weakness. Anyone who gives me cake is my friend for life! Too bad the UK is so far! ;-)I am thinking about joining the Quaker Inspired exchange. I like those Workbasket animals but I'm kind of nervous. I'm so new to finishing.

     
  • On 1 April 2008 at 07:02, Blogger Rowyn

    Wow, that sounds and looks delicious. I'm certainly going to have a go at making it. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!