< iStitch
Saturday 1 September 2012
Not usually my ...


... type of thing but I found this project in the back of a cupboard and decided to have a no-brainer stitching session! 






It called a Sampler Table Topper by Dutch Treat Designs and is stitched on 19 count Anne Cloth with DMC no 5 Perle Cotton. The fabric and the stitches are enormous but in a strange and perverse sort of way I am enjoying stitching it and my eyes certainly appreciate it! Sorry about the poor picture - it's a bit dark and gloomy here today. 





This and other table toppers are available to purchase *here*. The above picture shows the finished piece and is from Dutch Treat Designs website. 

I only hope this doesn't make my returning to my usual high count linens too difficult! 

And talking of high count linens I have just cut and serged a piece of 48ct linen to stitch Brenda Keyes' Grace and Virtue Sampler for the top of a hoop box. I saw one of these hoop boxes on Vonna's blog (The Twisted Stitcher) and I have been itching to find a suitable 'round' pattern to stitch. I stitched the pattern that Vonna used but it was too big for my liking so I was thrilled to find this one whilst searching through my stash. My only dilemma is whether to stitch it in monochrome - a deep blue or red as shown *here* or in colour as shown *here*. Vonna has supplied a wonderful tutorial to finish one of these boxes and only asks that she is given credit for this tutorial if you use it. Thank you Vonna for sharing your expertise. Pictures of Vonna's box *here*.

Summer is almost at an end - leaves are beginning to fall, the nights are drawing in and I suppose it won't be too long before Tommy will go into hibernation. I dislike this time of the year - I am definitely a summer person!

Thanks for visiting
Take care


Labels:

 
|


11 Comments:


  • On 1 September 2012 at 12:10, Blogger Chris

    I stitched this years ago for a friend. It was fun stitching with the chunky pearle cotton. There is something soothing in doing the nun stitch finishing too.
    Yours looks wonderful!

     
  • On 1 September 2012 at 13:12, Blogger Teri

    I actually like the look of the table topper and the larger design - it's a nice change. And the Brenda Keyes design is so pretty. I like the color version on this one, plus the colors go with the topper. Happy stitching!

     
  • On 1 September 2012 at 13:34, Blogger Kathy A.

    What an interesting new piece. It must be very different working on such a high count.
    I look forward to seeing your box finish.

     
  • On 1 September 2012 at 16:20, Blogger Wendy

    Carol, what a lovely idea! I have just ordered one of these for myself and a girlfriend - we stitch such complicated projects these days so what a lovely change to "go maxi" and put the magnifier away for a while - great for stitching on the plane or at the beach too. Thank you for showing this!

     
  • On 1 September 2012 at 16:21, Blogger Lelia

    I've stitched this design and really enjoyed it -- enjoy the week-end

     
  • On 1 September 2012 at 22:02, Blogger Solstitches

    I'm loving the hoop box idea and think you chose the perfect design.
    My vote is for monochrome.
    Margaret

     
  • On 2 September 2012 at 06:19, Blogger Gabi

    Love your table topper.
    48ct????? I bow my head.

     
  • On 2 September 2012 at 18:41, Blogger LindataxPA

    I've done the bell pull using this design and have the table topper kitted up and ready to go. I love doing TT's in the cooler weather as it provides a bit of warmth across my knees as I stitch. Large count - small count - there's love in your hands and your finished work. As for the hoop box....I vote monochrome.

     
  • On 6 September 2012 at 18:51, Blogger Mary in TN

    I agree that the large stitches seem very unusual whilst stitching them. I made this some time ago adn have it on a small table in the foyer. I am currently doing a Shepherd's Bush Christmas stocking for a grandson so I am in "big stitch heaven" also.

     
  • On 7 September 2012 at 19:54, Blogger Karoline

    It's looking lovely, great progress

     
  • On 15 September 2012 at 00:36, Blogger Sunny

    I've been away from your blog so long that I missed Tommy coming out this past spring. I can't wait for next spring so I can see him once more.