< iStitch
Saturday 28 February 2009
An exchange for Amy


I have heard from Amy that she received the exchange that I sent to her. I knew Amy has been laid up with a bad ankle so I wanted to do something special for her. I guessed (correctly) by her pretty pink blog that pink is her favourite colour so I chose a pink and white theme.


The tin topper is part of a freebie SALexandre (here) but I chose to stitch it on 32ct white linen instead of the 28ct listed. It is stitched 1*1 using DMC 899 which colour matched perfectly the velvet ribbon around the bottom of the outside of the Altoids tin. The embroidery sits upon a base of white Dupion silk and the inside is lined with the same silk fabric with a padded base. The inside of the lid is  lined with 2 pieces of white felt tied with a tiny white silk ribbon bow. For the pinkeep I used the same flower border adjusted in size to make a pinkeep small enough to fit inside the tin and I added Amy's name on the front and the year on the back. The needleminder is made from a covered button - I removed the button shank and glued on a pair of tiny magnets and you can see by the needle it works! I also made Amy one of my Swaroski crystal scissor fobs to complete the set.

This is the project that Kirby is stitching for herself in lime green on the same fabric. She hasn't got too far along with it as she has been busy with her studies, her part-time job and she has also caught this awful fluey bug but as soon as it's done I will post a picture. 



Last night our night sky was so clear this was the view from our back garden of the Moon and Venus. The Moon almost looked as though it was laying down and Venus glittered like a diamond. Apparently it is what astronomers call the 'greatest illuminated extent' of this plant's disk - whatever that may mean! It will not appear again until the Spring of 2010 and although it could be seen again tonight, the Moon is now above Venus. Not the best of photos I know but I tried!

No stitching these past few days as I have been feeling too bad to concentrate and I have decided a visit to the doctors is the way to go. On a good note I did manage to sleep for a few hours last night.  

Oh nearly forgot, thank you to Akila for the Blog Award - much appreciated. 

Thanks for visiting
Take care

Labels: ,

 
|


21 Comments:


  • On 28 February 2009 at 23:37, Blogger DaisyGirl

    I hope you get to feeling better! Your little thimblecase is to die for, I love it! What a great exchange!
    Donna

     
  • On 1 March 2009 at 00:32, Blogger Susan @ Real Girl Designs

    What a lovely group of pieces you've made for Amy - very pretty!

     
  • On 1 March 2009 at 00:45, Blogger Kim B

    Drool!!!! Carol this set is absolutely spectacular!!!!!!!! I'm green with envy!!! Amy is so lucky!

     
  • On 1 March 2009 at 06:35, Anonymous Anonymous

    Your stitching and finishing on this set are wonderful!! The detail work is incredible. Amy is, indeed, very lucky to receive such an amazing exchange!

    Nicely done!!

     
  • On 1 March 2009 at 07:01, Blogger Anna Zont

    Your stitching is so pretty and delicate! And your finishing is exelent!

     
  • On 1 March 2009 at 09:28, Blogger Sheila

    Oh what a beautiful miniature set -absolutely gorgeous.
    We saw the moon and Venus (I wasn´t sure what star it was ) here in Spain the other evening too - there were no other stars in the sky and it was spectacular - but I didn´t realise it was such an unusual occurence - thanks for the info :)

     
  • On 1 March 2009 at 10:29, Blogger Brigitte

    What you made for Amy is just wonderful. I was ohhhing and ahhhhing when I looked at the pictures. You're such a creative stitcher and your finishing skills are terrific.

     
  • On 1 March 2009 at 12:52, Blogger Anita

    What a pretty set and superb finishing.

     
  • On 1 March 2009 at 15:39, Blogger Dovilė

    lovely:)

     
  • On 1 March 2009 at 17:13, Blogger Karan

    A beautiful set & a very lucky recipient. Hope you feel much better soon.
    Now I know why the moon & bright star made me do a double-take when I spotted them last night. It looked wonderful. :0)

     
  • On 1 March 2009 at 18:42, Blogger Stitcher

    I have presented you with an award. Please visit my blog to collect it. Thank you for a great blog.

     
  • On 1 March 2009 at 19:19, Blogger Patricia Lessell

    Absolutely gorgeous and just perfect finishing. Lots of Love Patti xxx

     
  • On 1 March 2009 at 19:56, Anonymous Anonymous

    I was looking at the sky two nights ago and wondering whether it was actually a star that was shining that bright right above the moon crescent. Thanks to your explanations, I now know that it was, and not some UFO at a standstill... Phew, I feel better. But it seems you don't, so let's hear what the doctor has to say.

     
  • On 2 March 2009 at 00:34, Blogger Cindy F.

    Each piece is amazing!!

     
  • On 2 March 2009 at 01:34, Blogger Daffycat

    Oh wow, the exchange for Amy is awesome!

    That picture of your sky is incredible...just beautiful!

     
  • On 2 March 2009 at 15:23, Blogger "Magnolia"

    Woah, what a fabulous gift for Amy! She is ONE LUCKY LADY!

     
  • On 2 March 2009 at 18:43, Blogger Edgar

    Just beautiful stitching as always!! and sprouts are delicious!!!:)

    Hope you get to feeling better!!!!

     
  • On 3 March 2009 at 03:58, Blogger Yuko

    I just passed an award to you.
    Please visit my blog, when you have time!

    ((hugs))

    Yuko

     
  • On 3 March 2009 at 16:58, Blogger Karoline

    It's a gorgeous set Carol, congratulations

     
  • On 4 March 2009 at 15:03, Blogger Craft-i-leigh

    I saw this on Amy's blog. You did a great job, very lovely.
    I am new to the world of stitching and have been browsing various blogs to try and gain some knowledge and get some tips / ideas. I originally started with a stamped, then counted “kits”. I’m working on my 2nd chart and have noticed some big differences in floss types and quality.
    My Cross Stitch Mentor has told me that I’m ready to graduate from Aida, but I really like Aida. Maybe it’s just beginner’s comfort???
    If you would answer my question… What type of fabric or fabrics do you prefer and why? Brands and counts?
    I would appreciate any advice, thanks!

     
  • On 4 March 2009 at 15:20, Blogger Carol R

    Craft-i-leigh - Please email me - you can find my email address on my profile.