< iStitch
Friday 20 March 2009
Two in the city!
Warning: picture heavy! All pictures are clickable.


Kirby and I set off for London on the earliest train we could to take advantage of the Cheap Day fares and arrived there at 11.10am. We took the underground and arrived at the V&A just after 11.30 and headed straight for the Textiles Department .


Here there are beautifully stitched samplers on display, some in slide-out cabinets to protect them from the light. 



There were fabulous embroidered boxes. 


And more samplers... the one on the bottom right of this picture was stunning!


There were examples of intricate lace. 



And stitch diagram samplers too.


And, of course, the wonderful Jane Bostocke sampler (1598) which is the earliest dated British sampler known to survive (more here). The colours are as vibrant today as when Jane first put in those tiny stitches. Just think this sampler is 411 years old!

We then headed for the restaurant where we had an enjoyable and not too expensive lunch.

After lunch we went to the Fashion Department where we saw clothes (mainly dresses) from famous fashion designers such as Vivienne Westwood, Catherine Walker and others. Kirby took pictures and made notes for her course work. Some were made 'recycled' products; a dress made entirely from bras and another made from a leather coat. It's amazing what ideas these designers have.

After leaving the museum we decided to go to Harrods. How nice to be greeted by the doorman saying "Good afternoon ladies"! We wandered through the brightly lit departments just 'window shopping' - I think I can live without that handbag selling for over £3,000! Just think of all the stash I could buy for £3,000! We must get our priorities right!

The day went far too quickly and we took the underground back to Charing Cross. As we had 3/4 hour to wait for our train we went down to Trafalgar Square to sit in the sunshine for 1/2 hour. It's a shame that there's construction work going on so the fountains were boarded off but it was nice to relax and 'people watch'.

When I got up yesterday morning I felt quite ill. My throat is worse, I also have an ear-ache, a headache, a stiff neck and a streaming nose! I gave up on home remedies and called the doctor's surgery and was lucky enough to get a cancellation appointment. He says I have a viral infection and has given me some antibiotics. Last night I took a warm bath and was in bed by 9.30pm and slept until 7am this morning. I cannot believe I have had this bug since mid-January. Hopefully when the medication kicks in I will feel a bit better. I am wondering if this will delay my surgery. I tried to call the hospital yesterday and by the time I got through the automated machine to the correct department, an answer phoned said that she was not in the office until Monday and to dial again to speak to someone else! Don't you just hate these machines - I just want to speak to a real person - I will try again today.

As much as I feel like going back to bed I need to give the house a thorough cleaning in case my surgery does go ahead. 

Thank  you all for your good wishes for my surgery both in comments and emails. It's nice to know that someone out there is thinking of me.

Thanks for visiting
Take care 

 
|


22 Comments:


  • On 20 March 2009 at 09:06, Blogger hohla

    О! Beauty! Thanks for photos!!!

     
  • On 20 March 2009 at 10:58, Blogger Kim B

    Your pics are great Carol! Feel better soon!

     
  • On 20 March 2009 at 11:18, Blogger lena-lou

    Looks like a briliant day out at the V&A that old sampler is something else, WOW !

    Sorry to hear that you have begun to feel really unwell again and I hope it all clears for you ready for next weeks surgery. You must be a bit run down, eat garlic ;-) LOTS of garlic and lots of oranges.
    Take care and have a nice restful weekend

     
  • On 20 March 2009 at 11:27, Blogger Susan @ Real Girl Designs

    Great pictures, Carol! Thanks for sharing!

    I'm sorry you're getting worse, not better. I hope the medication does the job!

    You should be relaxing, not running around cleaning house!

     
  • On 20 March 2009 at 11:51, Anonymous Anonymous

    I've always wanted to visit the V&A, and your pictures allowed me to do that from a distance. Now **that's** what a sampler wall looks like, right?? I think I would have been glued to the spot in front of those samplers for hours!!

    Hope you shake your infection quickly and that your upcoming surgery goes very well. Feel better soon!

     
  • On 20 March 2009 at 12:46, Blogger WendyJo

    Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures Carol. What wonderful needlework and textile history and a fun day for you and Kirby too.

    I am glad you saw the doctor and I hope you feel better soon. Please take good care and rest.

     
  • On 20 March 2009 at 13:47, Blogger Patricia Lessell

    Thank you so much for the photos and I'm so glad you both had such a cracking day. You are quite right I will have to go there and soon. I do hope you feel a lot better soon and that your surgery goes ahead as I know how much you want this. Wishing you heaps better Lots of Love Always Patti xxx

     
  • On 20 March 2009 at 14:42, Blogger staci

    Sounds like you had a wonderful time...I can only imagine how beautiful everything was in person!

    I'm so terribly sorry that you're still not well!!! Do take care...I hope those antibiotics help {{hugs}}

     
  • On 20 March 2009 at 15:55, Blogger Karan

    Wow, stunning pieces - sounds like a hectic but fun day. :0)
    Sorry to hear you are feeling so grotty - hope the pills work & you feel much better soon. Fingers crossed the op doesn't have to be postponed.

     
  • On 20 March 2009 at 16:38, Blogger doris

    Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. The pictures are incredible.

    Best of luck with your sugery. I hope all goes perfectly.

     
  • On 20 March 2009 at 18:02, Blogger Andrea

    Wonderful photos. I'm glad you enjoyed your outing. Plenty of hot orange. Rest as much as you can. Take care.

     
  • On 20 March 2009 at 18:12, Blogger Anna Zont

    Great pictures! Thank you!

     
  • On 20 March 2009 at 19:27, Blogger Michele

    wow! what great pictures! I would love to see all those wonderful stitched pieces!

    Hope the drugs help you get better soon! Everyone here has been sick for weeks too .. not fun!

     
  • On 20 March 2009 at 21:03, Blogger Rowyn

    Wow, what a great day out. So much beautiful stitching on display!

    I hope you feel better soon, so that it does not delay your surgery.

     
  • On 20 March 2009 at 22:19, Blogger angelasweby

    Carol, hi there,
    I'm so sorry to hear you're not feeling well again. This dreadful virus does linger on and resurge if you get too tired and run down.

    Thankfully it didn't spoil your lovely day. What a treat it was and seeing all those wonderful pictures at the V&A has made me quite nostalgic to visit it again.

    Hope you saw some pretty dresses to give you some ideas :>)
    Warm hugs Angela

     
  • On 20 March 2009 at 22:55, Blogger Brigitte

    Great pictures and a great report about a wonderful day. I can't believe that there is a sampler that was stitched over 400 years ago. It must be wonderful to be able to see it.
    I hope you will feel better soon.

     
  • On 21 March 2009 at 01:08, Blogger Denise

    I enjoyed your visit to the V & A,
    I felt as if I were there, maybe
    one day.
    I thought you might find this interesting. This is the oldest
    known US sampler:
    http://www.pilgrimhall.org/s_sampler.htm -- by Loara Standish.
    I continue to enjoy your stitching
    and your blog, Denise

     
  • On 21 March 2009 at 04:28, Blogger Theresa

    Wow!! These pieces are so beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing the photos!
    Sorry to hear you are not feeling well, I hope you will be better soon and ready for surgery!! Take care!!!

     
  • On 21 March 2009 at 10:55, Blogger Akila

    OH MY GOD!!! What beautiful workmanship. Thanks a lot for the photos.
    Very sorry to hear that you are feeling sick again. Am sure you'll be fine very soon. Take care.

     
  • On 21 March 2009 at 13:31, Blogger Katrina

    Love all the pictures, everything is so gorgeous. What a fun day! Sorry you aren't feeling well.

     
  • On 21 March 2009 at 18:47, Blogger valerie

    Sounds like you had a wonderful day!Thank you for the great pictures. It's amazing to think of a smapler over 400 years old! I'm glad you and Kirby had fun. Sorry to hear that you are feeling so poorly though. I'm glad you went to the doctor to get medicine. I owe you an email still...crazy week at work. Happy weekend!

     
  • On 22 March 2009 at 04:46, Blogger Cindy F.

    Wonderful post and pics! Thanks for sharing Carol! This looks like a place I would love to visit also:)
    Hope you feel better very soon:)