< iStitch
Friday 4 June 2010
What do you think?





This picture is clickable for a closeup view


For the last few days I have been stitching Sew Easy as test pieces to help me decide whether to stitch Jane Rees on pale ivory 48ct Gander linen with HDF Perfect Red 6215 or on white 55ct linen with Soie Surfine 109 and here they are. To the left is the 48ct linen; the 55ct linen is on the right. I am still very undecided and would ask you to please comment with your views. If I stitch Jane on the Gander linen she will measure 15" x 19.8" whereas on the higher count she will measure 13" x 17.6" which is closer to the original measurement of 10" x 13½" as Jane stitched hers on 70ct linen. As much I like high count linens, 70ct, even if I could get it, would be a bit much for my eyes! Please, please comment - I value your opinion.

For those of you who are interested in Sew Easy this chart is available free *here* or by clicking on the CHARTS button on the sidebar. My test pieces measure 2½ x 3 on the Gander linen and 2 x 2½ on the 55ct fabric.  I nun-stitched each piece in HDF silk threads (Natural on the Gander linen, B5200 on the white linen) to enable me to cut them down with a neat edge.





And here, just a few days late, is my Tusal jar. If you peek inside you can see pink thread from Sew Sweet, the red Soie Surfine and HDF from Sew Easy and the cream of Sew Seasons. I am on the last season now - Sew Winter - so the chart will be ready soon.

The sun is shining and my place is booked in garden, my book is to hand and a cool drink ready to be poured - have a lovely weekend.

Thanks for visiting
Take care

Labels: , ,

 
|


22 Comments:


  • On 4 June 2010 at 10:44, Blogger Nic

    Both look very good, but I prefer the left hand one - it looks crisper. And I think that the linen is more even - the piece on the 55 count looks a little "stretched" vertically to me.

    But I'm sure whatever you choose will look great!

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 10:53, Blogger Shari

    I think I prefer the one on the left myself. Just my personal opinion thou!

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 12:15, Blogger BronnyB

    I like the softer look of the one on the left. The one on the right is just a tad too bright for my liking. S nice idea to do a test stitch. I just tend to start stitching on whatever fabric lands in my hand. Might try that idea one day.

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 12:29, Blogger Carole Z.

    Carol,

    I, too, prefer the sampler done on the Gander linen. I especially like the color; it gives the sampler an "antiqued" look.

    Carole

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 12:30, Blogger Carissa

    I have to admit, I prefer the one on the left also. I think the coverage looks better. The one on the right seems "too" white and just seems a bit sparse to me.

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 13:10, Anonymous Anonymous

    I vote for the one on the left too. I was originally going to say the one on the right until I clicked on the photo to enlarge it. The 55ct linen looks quite uneven and slubby in places, which affects the thread coverage I think.

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 13:10, Blogger Karen

    I really like the antique look of the one on the left. The colours seem to blend so well.

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 13:30, Blogger staci

    I guess I'm making it 8 for 8...I like the softer linen color with the red on the left :)

    70ct? Now that would really be insane, lol!!!

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 15:03, Anonymous Anonymous

    The 55-count is too white - but this can easily be remedied to with walnut ink, can it not ?
    I would be more comfortable for me to stitch on 48-count but then, I know you are used to miniature stiching and deep inside, 55-count is what you like best, isn't it ? Dye it and go for it !

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 16:26, Blogger Ann at Beadlework.

    I think the one on the left is really nice, very pleasing to the eye.

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 16:26, Blogger Gillie

    I agree with everyone - the left though maybe a touch of dye to soften the right if you want the smaller count. Heavens, when did she stitch it - just at high noon when the light was brightest?

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 17:45, Blogger Andrea

    I'm another one for the left hand one. Better coverage, smoother finish and softer looking on the pale ivory. I think it would be a bit too stark on the white over those measurements.

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 18:28, Blogger Brenda

    I like it better on the 48ct Gander linen as it give it an "aged and antique" look....which this was stitched LONG AGO so it is an old sampler.

    But the 55ct white is still very very beautiful.

    My thought would be to question "Do I feel comfortable stitching that big of project on such small count fabric?"

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 18:47, Blogger angelasweby

    Carol hi,
    I love the look of the one on the left. The white linen is a bit too bright whereas the creamier colour is more mellow. Also, I really like the size of the letters on the 48 count. It looks to me, if you are going by the vote of the international jury, the 48 count wins :>)
    You'll thank us when you're on page 25 of the chart...haha!
    Angela xx

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 19:23, Blogger valerie

    I guess I agree with everyone else. I like the one on the left. The 55 count is too bright. You could dye it...but I like the Perfect Red better as well... :)

    Happy weekend!

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 21:15, Blogger LisaG

    My vote is also for the one on the left. The idea of 70ct scares the life out of me!!!

     
  • On 4 June 2010 at 23:21, Blogger Berit

    Go with the gander and the red you tested on it. It's going to look great! Don't worry about it being a little bigger as a finished piece.

     
  • On 5 June 2010 at 11:27, Blogger Susimac

    Love the one on the left the best, its a softer colour.

     
  • On 5 June 2010 at 12:08, Blogger Carol

    Looks like the one on the left is winning by a land slide. It has my vote as well. I love your charts Carol. I can't wait until I finish my current project and can get busy on smaller pieces.

     
  • On 5 June 2010 at 12:58, Blogger Solstitches

    Definitely the one on the left which has a soft, aged look to it.
    I rarely use white any more as find it too stark.

    Margaret

     
  • On 5 June 2010 at 20:34, Blogger Meari

    I like the Gander Linen one.

     
  • On 8 June 2010 at 02:30, Anonymous Anonymous

    I like the piece on the right. Happy Stitching!