< iStitch
Wednesday 21 May 2008
Stitching, reading, internet and a visitor


Apart from an ornament for the Christmas in July exchange, all my imminent exchange stitching is done so all I need to do now is have a marathon 'finishing' session. Maybe I should have finished as I went along but, hopefully, it won't take too long. I really want to get back to Hannah Beeby as she has been badly neglected of late. I am also expecting Donna's RR to arrive via Wendy and I am looking forward to stitching on this.

My replacement wireless router arrived this morning so I took time out to set it up. Although my existing router worked fine while linked to my computer with a rather ugly red ethernet cable snaking across my desk, the wireless did not work, which meant that neither the other desktop, nor my laptop could pick up a connection. My ISP decided the router was faulty and sent out a new one. I've no idea why but it was not as easy to set up as the original one but I got there in the end and the red cable has now gone back in it's box. I hate wires and cables don't you?  

This past couple of days have been glorious weather-wise and I have spent a lot of time in the garden either stitching or reading. My latest book is Sea Change by Robert Goddard  which is set in 1721 and described by the Guardian as "A lively mix of political intrigue and high adventure". Not my usual crime and thriller type book but it's the last in the pile of books given to me by a friend and as I had nothing else to read I gave it a go. 

Yesterday, while I sat outside stitching, I caught a glimpse of a movement to my right and when I looked over there was a squirrel about a foot away from me. Such a cute little guy who stopped, looked me straight in the eye and just stood there. I said 'hello' but he didn't reply!  He didn't appear frightened so we just eyed one another until he decided to leave. I wished I had had my camera out there and will, in future, take it outside with me just in case he decides to make a return visit.

Tonight our Stitch-n-Bitch group are going to a Thai restaurant for dinner and I am looking forward both to seeing everyone and, of course, sampling the fare.

Edited: Chapter 46, page 438 of Sea Change reads:

"The coaster had many calls to make on its way, the number and duration of which far exceeded Spandel's expectatons. Tuesday morning found the vessel no further on than Deal. There Spandel lost patience. After a salty exchange with the skipper, who declined to refund any portion of his fare, he went ashore and continued his journey by road."

Deal is my home town! What an amazing coincidence. I wonder what Deal was like in 1721? 

Thanks for visting
Take care  


Labels: , , ,

 
|


10 Comments:


  • On 21 May 2008 at 20:18, Blogger Janaina

    Living in such a beautiful place and with so friendly neighbours you should wear a cam around your neck, like a necklace! =) Dont miss the little fellow next time!Take it to the Thai place too!
    What about the book? Nice story?

     
  • On 21 May 2008 at 23:51, Blogger Kim B

    Sounds like a friendly squirrel you met! Can't wait to see all your finishes from your finishing marathon :)

     
  • On 22 May 2008 at 02:50, Blogger DaisyGirl

    Hope dinner was great! I've never had Thai food. I'm having internet issues again. Why can't things be simple?
    I saw my rr on Wendy's blog, wahoo!
    Donna

     
  • On 22 May 2008 at 20:06, Blogger Karen

    hope you had a good eveing and lots of nice food

     
  • On 23 May 2008 at 05:41, Blogger Mylene

    Hope the dinner with the group went well.

    Looking forward to see your finishes!

     
  • On 23 May 2008 at 11:58, Blogger Heidi

    Hi Carol! Thanks for stopping in to visit my blog and leave comments. I thought I would stop over and say hello too. This book look interesting so I will have to look it up. I am looking forward to getting away up to Cranberry Cottage this weekend where I can sit and enjoy some stitching and reading in the garden. It is far too noisy with children to sit in the garden here in the city.

    Hugs ~
    Heidi

     
  • On 23 May 2008 at 13:09, Blogger Wendy

    I love Thai food! I hope your dinner was great. Going with a stitching group, how did you all resist the urge to pull out some stitching in the restaurant?

     
  • On 25 May 2008 at 22:06, Blogger Meg

    I might just have to read that book, Carole - we used to take the kids to Deal for our holidays to the flat above the Corner Parlour - spent the days on the beach and the evenings on the pier crab fishing!
    I even have 2 cross stitch picture of Deal I did on my wall upstairs
    Meg

     
  • On 26 May 2008 at 15:12, Blogger Katrina

    Hope your dinner was wonderful! I love those happy coincidences you come across in reading :-). It's always a nice surprise.

     
  • On 26 May 2008 at 15:34, Anonymous Anonymous

    hope enjoyed your meal with your group.. and next time you see the little squirrel say hi from me... what a concidence with deal being mentioned in that book is it good.