< iStitch
Monday 20 April 2009
Petites Lettres Rouges - *Edited*


At last I have a stitching photo to show you. I know it's not a lot but it's a start! This piece is called 'Petites Lettres Rouges' by Blackbird Designs who are holding a contest (here) with a freebie pattern. I have until April 27 to complete my stitching and produce a picture and although I am not sure if I will be able to do this, I will certainly try. As befitting a pattern called 'Petites Lettres Rouges', I am using French 40ct Gander linen in a pale creamy beige together with a deep red Soie Surfine thread. Both fabric and thread were gifted to me by dear Valie and I think this is the perfect project to try them out.  

I went to the library yesterday to stock up on reading material and found a copy of Jane Johnson's 'Crosses Bones'. I think this book is also published under the name 'The Tenth Gift' but why it was published under two titles I have no idea.* Part of the synopsis reads "Her fiery temper and determination to be more than a country wife are matched only by her skills with a needle." Crossed Bones is a story of two young women; of an adventure that began 400 years ago on the craggy Cornish coast and will end in the dusty bazaars of modern-day Morocco. It is a search for secrets - and it is a story about finding love where you'd least expect it ...". I will report more fully once I have read it. It's not my usual type of book as I prefer the ilk of John Grisham, James Grippando etc but I'm always open to trying something different!

The sun is shining today but there's a chilly breeze (one of the downsides of living near the ocean) so any thoughts of reading or stitching outside is out of the question. Maybe it will improve later.

Thanks for visiting
Take care  

*Edited: I have now discovered that this book is called Crossed Bones in the UK and The Tenth Gift in the US (see here). 

A small calf-skin bound book called 'The Needlewoman's Glorie' is given to Julia by her lover. The book had belonged to a Cornish girl, Cat Tregenna, some 400 years ago. Cat was kidnapped by Barbary pirates in the summer of 1625 and sold into slavery in Morocco. Julia sets out to uncover the story of Cat and of how the book makes it's way back to Cornwall. 

Cat is a prolific needlewoman and there are many references in this book to her needlework. It's a great read which I thoroughly recommend - I sat up late last night to finish it! So, if you haven't read it, check it out, I am sure you will enjoy it! I so wish I could find 'The Needlewoman's Glorie in an attic!

   

Labels: ,

 
|


15 Comments:


  • On 20 April 2009 at 12:09, Blogger Brigitte

    Great start on Petites Lettres. I love the delicate look of your fabric and thread.

     
  • On 20 April 2009 at 12:32, Blogger glamlawlib

    The book sounds great, look forward to hearing more about it.

    Petites Lettres is looking great, very pretty :)

     
  • On 20 April 2009 at 12:33, Anonymous Anonymous

    You have made good progress ! You convinced me, as you will see on my blog, I am also doing the Petites Lettres...

     
  • On 20 April 2009 at 12:35, Blogger Jeanne

    Great start on the BBD project! As for the book, it certainly sounds like The Tenth Gift, which I read last summer. It was a good read - and I couldn't find any major errors in the embroidery portions, which would be really annoying for us stitchers! Enjoy!

     
  • On 20 April 2009 at 13:12, Blogger Kim B

    Wow that's little! Congrats on having stitching to show.

     
  • On 20 April 2009 at 13:13, Blogger Patricia Lessell

    Oh boy am I ever gonna have to get this book. I am reading the 19th Wife and loving it so far. Your stitching is just gorgeous. I am going to have a stab at this one too. Lots of Love Patti xxx

     
  • On 20 April 2009 at 13:26, Blogger staci

    Beautiful start Carol! It's wonderful to see you stitching (I'm sure you're happy too!)

     
  • On 20 April 2009 at 13:44, Blogger Deb

    Great start on the BBD project. If I didn't have so much going on I'd join in on the fun too because it's a great sampler. You're making great progress!

     
  • On 20 April 2009 at 17:39, Blogger Dovilė

    Beautiful start Carol:)

     
  • On 20 April 2009 at 18:48, Anonymous Anonymous

    Beautiful start! I love your choice of fabric and threads :)

     
  • On 20 April 2009 at 21:31, Blogger Anne

    It looks great! This thread is beautiful, I'm looking forward to see your progress on this sampler! Take care Carol

     
  • On 21 April 2009 at 15:57, Blogger Karan

    PL is looking lovely. Book sounds an interesting read - will keep an eye open for it. :0)

     
  • On 21 April 2009 at 18:20, Blogger Carla

    Great start on Petites Lettres!!!

     
  • On 21 April 2009 at 20:17, Blogger angelasweby

    Wow Carol,
    What an interesting blog entry!!Not only something beautiful to look at but a very interesting book recommendation too :>)
    Your start on PLR is lovely. It will look very dainty on 40 count.
    Hugs, Angela

     
  • On 22 April 2009 at 04:58, Blogger Michele

    Oh Petites Lettres is looking so great! love the fabric and the thread :)