< iStitch
Monday 15 June 2009
DBS and some stitches!


I stitched a bit on my Dutch Band Sampler over the weekend plus a little 'secret' stitching. I love the colours of DBS - quite soothing! I need to pick up Beatrix again but I feel like a new start - maybe a Christmas ornament? We are six months into the year already and I can see, yet again, a last minute panic in December!


Cable Stitch - jolly little sailors in a 'tug-of-war'

I was surfing around on ebay last week and discovered a 1934 copy of Mary Thomas's Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches for sale. I made the initial bid of 85p and promptly forgot about it until I received an email saying I had won. I had already seen this book on someone's blog (sorry I cannot remember who) and knew that it contained the most delightful illustrations.



Honeycomb Filling Stitch - bees around a hive


And one of my favourites - Pekinese Stitch - enchanting little Pekinese dogs!

Tell me some of your favourite stitches and I will post the accompanying illustration if there is one.

On the inside cover of the book there is a label marked the Wolverhampton Education Committee showing that it was awarded as a school prize on Speech Day, January 25, 1935 to Vida Griffiths of Form Va for Senior Needlecraft. It's old and a bit musty but what a find!

Thanks for visiting
Take care

Labels: ,

 
|


21 Comments: