< iStitch
Saturday 30 April 2011
Violets




I visited Laura's blog 52 Flea and was reading her wonderful post on the Royal Wedding *here* and it reminded me of a poem about violets that I found written in the back of my mother's recipe book and thought I would share it. My mother passed away in 1976 and to see this written in her handwriting brings back memories of a very happy childhood. I hope you enjoy this sweet little poem as much as I do.

A little shy blue violet
Who never cared to roam
Between a nettle and a dock
She made her tiny home
She thought I'm safely hidden
By curtain green and cool
The children will not see me
When going by to school
But the wind who keeps no secret
Waft her scent about
And one child cried I smell violets
And so they found her out



Thanks for visiting
Take care
 
|


6 Comments:


  • On 30 April 2011 at 00:37, Blogger Shari

    how neat Carol! Thanks for sharing your special memories & poem with us....I have a picture of violets as my desktop background right now!

     
  • On 30 April 2011 at 00:38, Blogger Nancy

    Violets have always been my favorite flower, and I love this poem! Maybe some of the words can inspire a Sew Violet?

     
  • On 30 April 2011 at 02:59, Blogger Maggee

    Love the poem Carol! Very sweet! Hugs!

     
  • On 30 April 2011 at 13:30, Blogger Carol

    Oh, what a dear poem, Carol. My mother's favorite flowers are violets and with her birthday coming in two weeks I think I'll have to give her a copy of it :)

    Thank you for sharing!

     
  • On 30 April 2011 at 21:00, Blogger Laura @ 52 FLEA

    It is indeed a sweet poem Carol. How lovely to have this treasure from your Mom. I am sorry for your loss...no matter that is was years ago. Our mothers can never be replaced and our hope is that one day we will be reunited.
    I love all the old fashioned flowers... especially violets and lilacs. Next up in my garden will be the lily of the valley.
    Wishing you peace. Thanks so much for sharing the poem.
    Take care, Laura

     
  • On 1 May 2011 at 10:14, Anonymous Anonymous

    Sweet poem. Very special too.