< iStitch
Wednesday 27 April 2011
A new start, an ebay find and another Brown Bunny!


(Click on the picture for a closeup view)


I have been wanting to stitch Douceur de vivre by Jardin Privé since it was gifted to me a while ago. I have now ordered, and received, the HDF conversion threads and cut my fabric - 48ct nacre Gander linen - to size so I am ready to make a start. I love the colours against the nacre linen.

I must tell you about the scissors shown in the picture. I found these on ebay and paid the princely sum of 99p (approx. $1.63) for them. The seller said that they had belonged to her grand-mother. Can you imagine selling embroidery scissors that belonged to your grand-mother?!! Her loss is my gain and they are now proudly on display in one of my glass frogs.





Geneva (no blog) sent me a picture of her version of Sew a Brown Bunny. It is beautifully stitched on Zweigart Newcastle 40ct flax linen with DMC 469 and 838 and charmingly finished as a little pillow stuffed with crushed walnut shells. Thank you Geneva for allowing me to post your picture. I so wish I could get crushed walnut shells here in the UK. I did go to a pet store in Sarasota last year but they only had enormous sacks which were far too large to bring back with me!

Sew a Brown Bunny is still available *here* or by clicking on the CHARTS button on the sidebar.

The lovely weather we had over Easter has now gone and, although we still have a little sunshine, there is a very cold breeze coming off the sea. I suppose this is the downside of living near the ocean.

Thanks for visiting
Take care


Labels: , ,

 
|


19 Comments:


  • On 27 April 2011 at 12:05, Blogger natalysneedle

    Beautiful scissors! I also love the colors of your thread selection against the linen. Can't wait to see progress pics.

     
  • On 27 April 2011 at 12:10, Blogger Shari

    your new piece looks very interesting....I love the colors!!!!
    And the scissors...oh my!!! What a steal deal!!! I am sure the person who sold them had no clue what they were selling!!! I know I did that with an old sewing machine, years ago...oh to have it back now!

     
  • On 27 April 2011 at 12:26, Blogger Yuko

    Carol, how beautiful scissors you've got!!!
    And what a lovely price and piece this is!! It's so lovely!

    I'm so looking forward to seeing your new project!!

    ((hugs))

     
  • On 27 April 2011 at 13:10, Blogger Kathy A.

    oh what luscious colors for your new piece!
    and those scissors are indeed a steal. I certainly would never have parted with them. At least, they are with someone who will treasure them.

     
  • On 27 April 2011 at 13:13, Blogger Bertie

    Looks like a lovely design Carol, and does the HDF threads come in these reels now?
    What a scissors find!! fabulous, great to see you can still find a bargain, and of course you will treasure them:))

     
  • On 27 April 2011 at 13:38, Blogger Dora

    You found a beautiful pair of scissors that I know you will treasure! Can't wait to see your start on this new project.
    Another pretty finish of Sew a Brown Bunny.
    What is the weather forecast for Friday?

     
  • On 27 April 2011 at 13:57, Blogger Carol

    I'll look forward to following your progress on your new start, Carol--such pretty colors! And such pretty scissors--I can't imagine parting with any of my grandmother's sewing things!

    Those bunnies just keep multiplying--Geneva did a great job on hers :)

     
  • On 27 April 2011 at 14:20, Blogger Berit

    I was just about to praise your scissors there and ask after their origin! ;)

    We do love our scissors! What a wonderful bargain, and I'm glad they have a good home with a collector like yourself! :D

    Looking forward to your new start!

     
  • On 27 April 2011 at 16:44, Blogger Michele

    Love your new start! Can't wait to see it grow :)

    Another Bunny finished! Love seeing them :)

    wow, great find on scissors ... sad though :(

     
  • On 27 April 2011 at 18:11, Blogger Anne

    Those scissors are so beautiful and unique. I'm amazed at the tiny size of that linen! I am looking forward to seeing your progress on your pattern with those gorgeous silks!

     
  • On 27 April 2011 at 18:37, Blogger valerie

    Can't wait to see your new start! The colors are lovely!

    Congratulations on your eBay find...what a steal! At least the scissors are in good hands now. Great finish by Geneva!

     
  • On 27 April 2011 at 18:56, Blogger Starry-eyed stitcher

    Hi Carol,
    I too have searched for walnut shells here in the UK, with no luck, but I did find some crushed oyster shells in a well known pet shop. They are clean and nicely weighty for smaller projects. Hope that helps. Irene xx

     
  • On 27 April 2011 at 19:31, Blogger Poussy Stitches My Love

    oh adorable !
    bisous bisous

     
  • On 27 April 2011 at 19:53, Blogger Elisa

    I can't beleive you got those scissors for 99p...what a find!

    Your new start is going to be wonderful....48c linen...how do you stitch on that?

     
  • On 27 April 2011 at 21:07, Blogger Irene

    Nice scissors. Look forwrd to your progress on this one, the colors look nice.

     
  • On 28 April 2011 at 07:58, Anonymous Anonymous

    Lucky find - the scissors ! I don't even know what happened to my grandmother's sewing box : I was not interested at the time anyways.
    Weather has turned windy and cold here too, and we don't live near the sea : it was to be expected though, with such unexpected lovely weather for such a long time. I expect to have wet holidays in Britanny !

     
  • On 28 April 2011 at 10:19, Blogger ALISON

    You had a lovely bargain with those scissors....lucky you. I have you r blog listed on mine ,if you want pop over to me and if you like add yourself as a follower. Ciao Alison

     
  • On 28 April 2011 at 19:57, Blogger staci

    Congrats on your awesome scissor find! At least they've come to a good home where they will be treasured :)

    Loving all the bunny finishes I've been seeing! Happy Stitching!

     
  • On 6 September 2014 at 09:37, Blogger Ann at Beadlework.

    Can you tell me what colour is Nacre closest to in Zweigart linen - is it antique white or would it be cream. I hope you don't mind me asking.