< iStitch
Saturday 20 September 2008
Friends: A Common Thread

(Click picture)

Between October 5 - 18, Whitney Antiques are holding their annual sampler exhibition. As I am on their mailing list, I received the above leaflet from them and I was excited to see that the theme for this year is "Friends: A Common Thread - Samplers with a Quaker connection". Usually at this time of the year we are in Sarasota on vacation but this year we will be able to go the exhibit and I am quite excited at the prospect.

The leaflet says: "In this our annual exhibition of sampler we have set out to explore the far reaching influence of Quaker teaching on school girl needlework. Included in the exhibition are samplers from well known English Quaker schools such as Ackworth, York School and Milverton, as well as those worked under anonymous Quaker tuition. Amongst a number of examples of American Quaker needlework on display will be a particularly rare globe worked at Westtown School, Chester County, Pennsylvania. 

For the first time in one of our exhibitions we are delighted to welcome Carol Humphrey as guest curator and author of the catalogue. Carol Humphrey is honoury keeper of textiles at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge and author of the definitive book 'Quaker School Girl Samplers from Ackworth'."

I don't suppose I will be allowed to photograph any of the samplers but I will take my camera along just in case. 

On the stitching front, I was planning of having a 'finishing day' today but the sun made an appearance and, ever one to make the most of a sunny day, after my household chores were done, I headed out into the garden to read. 

I have been asked to work next week and part of the following week but I will hopefully post and stitch at some time during this period. I really need to put together my package for the HOE Halloween exchange as the deadline for mailing is fast approaching. 

Thanks for visiting
Take care

Labels: ,

 
|


9 Comments:


  • On 20 September 2008 at 18:40, Blogger Nic

    The exhibition looks like it will be very interesting, it's a shame I don't live closer.

    I keep changing my mind over what I want to stitch for my Halloween exchange, I'm going to have to make a decision soon!

     
  • On 21 September 2008 at 02:33, Blogger Rowyn

    That sounds like a fantastic exhibition. I'm sure you'll have a great time at it.

     
  • On 21 September 2008 at 07:09, Blogger DaisyGirl

    We never get any exhibits around here. A quilting expo comes to town, but no cross stitch or needlework. Your lucky!
    I've almost finished my part on the Quaker RR, getting ready to send to Valerie I think.
    Donna

     
  • On 21 September 2008 at 13:37, Blogger Rachel V

    I was just able to hear Jacqueline Holdsworth at an event here in Pennsylvania, and she was wonderful. She talked about her friendship with Carol Humphrey and about the globes that schoolchildren would make as geography lessons. Chester County, Pennsylvania is right near where I live. Have a lovely time!

     
  • On 21 September 2008 at 18:12, Blogger Jennifer

    I'm also not very far from Westtown, right over the border in another county, in fact. I wonder if the exhibit will be coming around here any time soon.

     
  • On 21 September 2008 at 19:05, Anonymous Anonymous

    that sounds great the samplers on the website look fantastic.. thanks for the info but i doubt i will be able to attend... you have fun though and enjoy.. its been beautiful today i managed to read a couple of chapters before the kids needed me.lol

     
  • On 22 September 2008 at 20:50, Blogger Hazel

    Don't know where that is but it looks far from me :-( Hope you enjoy it. xx

     
  • On 22 September 2008 at 22:28, Blogger Edgar

    What a great looking exhibit!!! I am just green with envy!

     
  • On 24 September 2008 at 14:33, Blogger WendyJo

    This exhibition sounds very interesting. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. Wish I lived closer!