< iStitch
Wednesday 16 January 2008
Loara Standish and Elizabeth Kensington Samplers


This is the Loara Standish Sampler which I referred to in my post yesterday. I had forgotten how lovely it is and how much I enjoyed stitching it at the time. I cannot remember when I started it or why I gave up stitching it but it was probably because it needs a lot of concentration with all the double running stitches. Anyway, now that I have re-discovered it I am going to make a start on it and maybe put it in a rotation.   It is stitched on 36ct  hand dyed linen with silk floss.  OMG I have just found a working copy of the first part of the chart and written on it is 29.01.1999!!  That must have been my start date so I am going to set myself a target finish date of 29.01.2009 - 10 years for one sampler - that really will be a record for me!! LOL 

 

This sampler is the antique one that was stored with the Loara one.  This was stitched, as you can see, by Elizabeth Kensington, aged 9 years, in 1843! It's in a fairly good condition with only a couple of tiny holes which I hope will not be too noticeable when backed with raw linen and framed but even if they do show what the heck, the piece is 165 years old and I doubt I would look that good at that age!  

I will be making the draw for the scissor fob later today and will post the winner tomorrow.

Thanks for visiting
Take care
Carol



Labels: ,

 
|


10 Comments: